YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Cinderella went to the Ball!

"I always thought Prince Charming in Cinderella was the most boring role; I'd rather be the Wicked Witch." - Jude Law

My years of pestering my best friend's brother into inviting me to his debs finally paid off last week where instead of beaching on the couch in front of the tv with a shopping trolley full of junk food as I've grown accustomed to on Wednesday nights I got ready to attend my third (and a half) debs! Now I will admit I got completely swept up in the excitement and ignored the fact that I have no job and am supposed to be saving for my second year of college, oh no my thoughts were only of flouncing around in another pretty dress and doing too many shots. This was definitely going to be fancy on the cheap. 
As some of you already know I did a blog post a few weeks ago on affordable debs dresses so I thought it was time to heed my own advice and scope out dresses on ASOS and I wasn't disappointed. I wanted something I would wear again since my own magnificent debs dress from last year is sitting sadly in a dry cleaner's bag in my wardrobe.  I opted for a high low dress as it was formal enough for a debs but would look good dressed down with tights and an oversized denim jacket for nights out too. 50 quid, free shipping, can't go wrong, big kisses for ASOS.
Next step was accessories, my own style is quite minimal and I usually don't wear jewelry but shoes are my one true love so after crying over how much I wanted a pair of JC Nightwalkers I relented and bought a pair of insanely high studded platform court shoes (good job my date is very tall) in Penneys for €21! In keeping with the studded theme for my bag I bought a gorgeous black leather studded clutch from New Look for  around €13, God bless you student discount. Since my dress was short at the front I wanted to add a little twist to it, little did I know I was going to trip over a chair and have a big mouldy bruise on my shin or I would have bought tights but that's besides the point now, so I decided to wear little frilly white socks to add a bit more femininity to this otherwise "all black everything" look.
As for the day itself, I didn't see the point in getting up at the crack of dawn to frantically begin preparations, is there really any point in doing that when you're going to be still dancing well after 3AM? So I rolled out of bed with a head like a bag of cats at about 1 o'clock and resigned myself to getting princessed. Jumped in the shower, moisturized with one of my LUSH body melts so I was covered from the shoulders down in a shimmery glitter (I didn't call it getting princessed for nothing!) and painted my nails dark red. 
If I learned anything from my own debs it was to not waste time and money on things like manicures etc, now that makes me sound like an Irish Mammy but I'll tell you why! On the week prior to my debs I had a nail appointment, eyelash extension appointment and a make up trial booked and ended up so disappointed. I could have done my nails like that myself and bought a round of drinks for the price, I ended up pulling the eyelashes off because they looked ridiculous and really hurt and my make up made me look like a man in drag with a super shiny orange face. If you want something done right do it yourself!
Anyway, I hauled all my things and my be-glittered self around to my best friend's (sister of the guy I was accompanying to the debs, so handy!)  house to see what we could come up with. We ended up sitting around chatting and smoking cigarettes until about half five until we eventually concluded that it was time to get ready. I did my own make up, I've done it for years now I can't think of anyone that could do it better than I could! I chose to keep it relatively simple with neutral lightly contoured eye make up and a pair of fake eyelashes that I picked up on a whim from Penneys that actually look pretty good on, and finished off with my usual matte red lipstick. I find hairdressers in my area can only do two hairstyles, old woman helmet or GHD curls and I'm a fan of neither so I got my very talented friend, Sarah to style my hair into 40's victory rolls to suit my pin-upesque make up. All done, I was still pretty envious of James who just had to throw on his rented tux and the most difficult part of his day was remembering how to knot a tie!
Then it was onto the fun part, dinner, too many drinks and shameful dancing (I woke up with a vague memory of everyone including myself dancing to a Saw Doctors song circa 2am but I'm just going to pretend that didn't happen or else I'll die of shame!) 

so yeah, anyone need a debs date for next year?



No comments:

Post a Comment